Tuesday, April 28, 2020

The Church of The Primacy of St. Peter / and - Fourth Sunday of Easter May 3, 2020




The picture above is of The Church of the Primacy of Peter (Mensa Domini Church).  The church contains a projection of limestone rock in front of the present altar which is venerated as a "Mensa Christi"Latin for table of Christ. According to tradition this is the spot where Jesus is said to have laid out a breakfast of bread and fish for the Apostles, and told Peter to "Feed my sheep" after the miraculous catch, the third time he appeared to them after his resurrection. (John 21:1-24)

Welcome to "The Deacon's Door"
May 3, 2020
Fourth Sunday of Easter
All of the readings today for the 4th Sunday of Easter, cause us to find comfort during a time of challenge and the unknown.  Our Catholic Churches remain closed and we continue to stay in our homes in isolation, away from the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist.  I have had a number of people ask me what I thought would be the final result of this void in our lives.  What will happen after we have been denied the opportunity to be physically present for the Mass on Sunday and denied to receive the Eucharist for so long?  It is an interesting question.  One I think is worth pondering in prayer, as we face our daily COVID routine.  What will our faith look like when we return to Mass and the Eucharist? 

For me, I believe it will be a joyous reunion of sorts with my love of the Mass and the True Body and Blood of Christ in the Eucharist.  For me, I believe it will have made me appreciate more the blessings I have of being able to live in a county where I can practice my faith and where I can celebrate that faith with my Parish Family.  I believe I will have a greater appreciation for the reverence that is deserved to be shown at Mass and when receiving the Body and Blood of Christ.  For me, it will be a day of celebration that I have weathered the storm and that my faith has not only gotten me through the hard times, but has been strengthened by the crosses I have endured away from my church.

As we continue with the challenges we face with this pandemic, we cannot help but feel a little unsettled.  We have experienced the loss of so much of our freedom, our security, our independence and certainly much of what we have taken for granted in our lives.  And yet in the scriptures that God has placed before us, we find hope and assurance of his ever-present mercy and love for us all. 

Listen to the words from 1 Peter in the readings from today: Beloved:  If you are patient when you suffer for doing what is good, this is a grace before God.  For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example that you should follow in his footsteps…  He himself bore our sins in his body upon the cross, so that, free from sin, we might live for righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed…”

I pray that we all will emerge from this time of suffering and challenge to be able to count ourselves as the chosen ones of God.  It is with an absolute trust and grace that we are following Christ like sheep through the Gate – knowing that our faith will see us through.  As we hear in the Psalms from today: The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

As you may be aware, the challenges continue.  The Iowa Bishops have extended the closure of our Catholic Churches through May.  While we mourn the loss of being present for Mass and the Eucharist, we thank God for the dedication and efforts of Fr. Atwood and our volunteers who are providing us the opportunity to watch the live stream of Sunday Mass each week during this pandemic.  As a reminder, we will continue to live stream Mass on Sundays from Sacred Heart Church.  You can follow that Mass at 9:00 AM on Sunday morning on Facebook or YouTube and can find it posted on Facebook and the SH Web Page. (Sacred Heart Oelwein Mass) to be viewed at a later time.   It will also be played at about 3:00 pm on Mediacom each Sunday. 

“Pax et bonum” (Peace and Goodness)
            Deacon Jim Patera   319-509-1210   pateraj@msn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment